copwick is a village in North Kesteven and is situated six miles south of Lincoln. The parish includes Kirkby Green a hamlet to the east of the village. It is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having a church and six mills. The name Scopwick derives from Old English and was originally Scapeuic, meaning ‘the Sheep Farm’. Whites Directory of 1842 describes Scopwick as a parish of 409 souls and 3351 acres of land, extending three miles east and west of the village, and having a fertile soil, resting on limestone, except in the vale west of the Car-Dyke, where the soil is peaty, on a substratum of clay. It was also reported that “after heavy rains, numerous springs boil up in various parts of the parish, and give rise to many small rivulets.”
The village church of Holy Cross contains the Commonwealth Ware Graves for the airmen from nearby RAF Digby, including that of young Word War II poet and aviator John Gillespie Magee.
Scopwick enters in Class II of the competition, with a population of between 2001 and 7000 people. They have won the competition a total of five times, in 1968, 1970, 1982, 1996 and 1999. Scopwick have also come second four times, and third four times.
(The Best Kept Villages and Small Towns Competiton), has benefitted the community because it came at a time when we were just losing our village road man, who cut the grass and generally cleaned up the village. Villages then became responsible for their own grass cutting and maintenance and community involvement in this came out of the competition.
– Pete Baumber
Use the media player below to hear an interview with Peter Baumber